What are rodents?
Mice and rats are both types of rodents, and while they are pretty similar, the shy rat and the more outgoing mouse are different species with different physical characteristics.
- Adult mice are smaller and more slender than adult rats, though people often mistake young rats for adult mice.
- Mice have long, thin tails covered in hair, while rats have short, thick, scaly tails that are hairless.
- Compared to the size of their head, mice have more prominent ears than rats.
- A mouse's nose tends to be more pointed than the blunt nose of a rat.
If you have a rodent intruder in your home and want to know for certain if it is a rat or a mouse, it is always best to partner with an expert for professional rodent control in Middletown.
Are rodents dangerous?
Rodents present a health risk to people as they carry and spread diseases like hantavirus and parasites like fleas and ticks that make people ill.
Another hazardous side effect of a rodent infestation is that their gnawing behaviors can lead to short circuits and fires inside homes and other buildings.
Rodents are also destructive; without hesitation, they will chew holes in food containers, cabinets, pantries, and other food storage areas as they forage for food. Mice and rats contaminate food and surfaces with their excrement and saliva- contaminating way more food than they consume.
Why do I have a rodent problem?
Food is the biggest reason rodents find their way to a property; the smell of garbage, debris left on grills, ripe fruits in the gardens, and pet food are too much for them to resist.
Once rodents discover they can meet their nutritional needs on your property, they will keep returning and may even decide to stay and nest, either in your yard or inside your home or other structure like a shed or garage.
Where will I find rodents?
Typically nocturnal, you won't usually see mice and rats out and about during the day unless there is a large infestation in place. People typically discover signs of rodents before they see a rodent.
If you ever notice the following signs, you likely have rodents visiting or living in your home:
- Finding their dropping on the floor, bottoms of closets, or in drawers
- Discovering chew marks on boxes, cabinets, or furniture
- Noticing a musty odor has developed in certain areas of your home
- Hearing scratching or running sounds behind walls
When a mouse or rat finds their way into your California home, they will quickly find their way into secluded spots like the attic, the basement, spaces under sinks, and behind appliances to nest. Roof rafters, roof eaves, and chimneys are other common rodent hideouts.
How do I get rid of rodents?
At Armed Force Pest Control, we have a deep commitment to our customers and to solving whatever pest problem they're experiencing. Whether you are dealing with one rodent or an extended family of rodents, we are here to help. We know how problematic pest issues are and want to work with you to quickly solve the problem and help you take your home back from dangerous and destructive rodents.
Trust Armed Force Pest Control with your rodent control needs. Our professionals are committed to providing our customers with excellent pest control services for your home or business and friendly and professional customer service. If rodents have taken over your property, we can provide you with the inspection, rodent baiting and exclusion services necessary to solve your California property's rodent problems once and for all!
How can I prevent rodents in the future?
In addition to professional pest control services in Middletown, CA, the following prevention tips will help make your home less attractive to rodents.
- Seal all holes in the exterior of your home, including those spaces around utilities.
- Keep attics, basements, and crawl spaces free of debris and make sure they are well-ventilated.
- Ensure windows and doors are sealing properly.
- Cut back vegetation back from your home's exterior.
- Keep lids on trash cans and recycling bins.
- Keep grills and outdoor eating areas free of food debris.
- Store food properly and regularly wipe down surfaces to remove crumbs and spills in the kitchen.
- Don't leave uneaten pet food sitting out for long periods.
- Regularly vacuum your floors, including spaces under furniture and behind large appliances.
Let Armed Force Pest Control provide you with the regular pest control services necessary to guard your home and family.